We all really need to incorporate more plants into our diets -greens especially. Plants have benefits beyond vitamins, mineral and fibre. There are unique substances in them that drive other biochemical pathways in the body, and when we don’t eat enough of them, a lot of these processes are compromised.
We all know they’re good for us, but some days it can be harder than others to get our greens in!
This is an easy way for you to add more greens to your day so you can benefit from all of their cleansing, alkalizing properties even when life gets crazy!
One of the best ways I like to get my intake of daily greens is through smoothies. Smoothies are a great way to jam in a whole lot of nutrients in one meal that would be hard to eat in the one sitting or even enjoy. They are quick, fuss-free and even easier when you create your own smoothie packs and place them in the freezer ahead of time.
I like to prepare my smoothie ingredients for the week then I don’t have any excuses not to have it. You can simply add your greens, a little fruit, liquid of your choice -I like coconut water and Almond/Coconut milk and a teaspoon or two of your favourite superfoods into a container or reusable, zip-lock bag and freeze. It keeps well and all you need to do when its smoothie time is add your bag of goodies to the blender with a little extra water or milk blend and enjoy!
I love green smoothies because:
- They are a great way to naturally boost your energy making them perfect in the morning or at that 3pm slump
- Packed with disease-fighting nutrients
- A fast and easy way to give your body what it needs when you’re in a rush
- Packed with phytonutrients from the greens, your immune system will get a nice boost to help it function optimally
Power Smoothie Recipe:
1 cup coconut water
1 cup unsweetened almond and coconut milk blend
1 serving green powder (we sue a blend of barley grass, wheat grass and spirulina).
1 serving plant based protein powder
1 cup spinach
1 cup Kale
1 frozen banana
1 tsp maca powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix thoroughly until cashew nuts are completely blended. This is a thick, nourishing smoothie that will stay with you for hours.
*Note: Where possible use as much Organic leafy greens as possible – especially the “dirty dozen”.