This super quick and easy raw vegan chocolate slice is very nutritious and definitely satisfies the strongest chocolate craving. They are gluten and dairy free – a bit of a change from the dried fruit, high sugar energy balls or bars about. I think they are so delicious – a bit of a cross between a coconut rough and chocolate crackle. There’s something distinctly nostalgic about these beauties.
The almond meal offers good fats and mood elevating amino acids and minerals. The cacao adds antioxidants and the chia seeds, more protein, and omega 3 fatty acids.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (30g) organic raw cacao nibs
- 100ml (40g) organic cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 100 g almond meal (1 cup)
- 50g organic coconut flour
- 1/3 cup organic hazelnuts, roasted & roughly chopped
- 4 organic free range eggs, separated
- small pinch of sea salt
- 50 g shredded coconut (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- Grease a long slice tin with coconut oil or butter.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Combine the cocoa powder and cacao nibs with melted coconut oil, almond meal, sweetener, and vanilla
- Whip egg yolks with maple syrup until well combined and creamy.
- Add the chocolate coconut mix to the egg mixture and stir well.
- Gently fold in the flour and the nuts until well combined.
- Add salt to egg whites and whisk to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the slice mix and transfer to slice tin.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for approx 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow cooling a little before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.