TOFU POMEGRANATE QUINOA SALAD
G.F, D.F, R.S.F, V, VG
Servings: Makes 4 servings (1 serving ≈ 2 cups)
¾ cup quinoa
1 ¾ cup water
¾ teaspoon sea salt, divided
½ Fuji apple, cored and finely chopped
½ cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
⅓ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
⅓ cup fresh scallions, green and white parts, finely chopped
¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
500grams firm tofu, diced
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup died cherry tomatoes
2 seedless mandarins separated into pieces
¼ cup blood orange juice (or regular orange juice plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer, drain well, and place moist grain in a heavy, medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with wooden spatula until grains stick to the bottom of the pot and then start to move freely and smell toasty, about 5 minutes.
- When grains of quinoa start to pop, move the pot off heat and pour in 1¾ cups water, being cautious, as it will splatter. Immediately return the pot to heat, and reduce heat to medium. Add ¼ teaspoon salt, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is almost tender. Remove from heat and let sit covered, for about 10 minutes. Using fork, fluff quinoa, and transfer it to a medium to large mixing bowl.
- Unwrap tofu and cut into small cubes, then add to a medium mixing bowl and season with a pinch of salt and olive oil. Heat a large pan on the stove with olive oil. Once hot, add the seasoned tofu. Sauté for 5 minutes, shaking/flipping occasionally to cook on all sides, until tofu has a slight crust on each side and has begun to brown. Put aside to cool to room temperature.
- After quinoa is at room temperature, add apple, pomegranate seeds, cilantro, mint, parsley, scallions, almonds, tofu, fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes and mandarin pieces. Mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice (or the two citrus juices) with remaining ½ teaspoon salt until it dissolves. Add pepper, then whisk in oil. Pour dressing over salad and toss with a fork to distribute it evenly. Serve within 2 hours.
Notes: The quinoa and dressing parts of this salad can be made up to 8 hours ahead, then covered and refrigerated separately and combined shortly before serving